Kutsay EmpanadaPORKSAVOR® All-in-One Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 cups (185g) All-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 Tbsps. (25g) White sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. (2.3g) Baking powder, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5g) Iodized salt, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. (22.5g) Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Water, ice-cold
- 2 Tbsps. (30ml) Cooking oil
- 1/4 cup (50g) Red onion, minced
- 1/8 cup (20g) Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (100g) Ground pork
- 1/2 cup (100g) Shiitake mushroom, minced
- 1/2 cup (50g) Carrots, small diced
- 3/4 cup (75g) Singkamas, small diced
- 3/4 cup (75g) Tofu, small diced
- 1/2 cup (20g) Garlic chives (Kutsay), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. (1.1g) Black pepper, ground
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Soy sauce
- 1 pack (8g) PORKSAVOR® All-in-One Seasoning Mix
- 4 cups (1000ml) Cooking oil
- MIX & KNEAD. To prepare the dough, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Rub in the butter to the flour mixture using fingertips until combined. Add water, 2 Tbsps. at a time, then knead the dough until elastic and not stiff. Cover the dough in cling wrap then set aside in the chiller for 15-30 minutes.
- SAUTÉ. In a pan, heat oil. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant. Add ground pork then sauté until slightly brown. Add mushrooms, carrot, singkamas, tofu, and kutsay. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- SEASON. Add black pepper, soy sauce, and PORKSAVOR®. Mix well then let the mixture cool.
- ROLL & FILL. On a clean surface, dust with flour. Flatten dough to 1/4 inch thick using a rolling pin. Cut out 15cm-diameter circles. Fill each circle with 2 Tbsps. filling. Fold the dough into half then seal the edges by crimping or by pressing by fork on the edges.
- DEEP-FRY & SERVE. In a pan with hot oil, fry empanada for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain excess oil using strainer or colander. Serve while hot.
Kutsay empanada filling can be cooked in advance to lessen time preparation. Place it in a close container and put in the refrigerator. Thaw properly before filling the dough.
Good to Know Nutrition Facts
This empanada is a good source of Potassium (from tofu and kutsay), which helps regulate fluid balance and blood pressure in the body.