Tuna Pie RecipeAJI-GINISA® Flavor Seasoning Mix
- 1 cup (141 grams) All purpose flour
- 1/8 cup (28 grams) Sugar, white
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) Salt, rock
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) Butter, cold unsalted
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Oil, palm
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Water
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) Butter, unsalted
- 2 cans (214 grams) Tuna flakes in oil, canned, drained
- 3/4 cup (105 grams) Carrots, minced
- 1 pack (7 grams) AJI-GINISA® Flavor Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) Pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons (34 grams) Mayonnaise
- 1 piece (57 grams) Egg, beaten
- 2 cups (500 ml) Cooking Oil for deep frying
- KNEAD & ROLL. To prepare the dough (crust), combine all purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut in cold butter. Add oil and water. Mix well. Roll dough into thin sheets. Cut 3.5" x 5″ sheets. Set aside.
- SAUTÉ & SEASON. To cook the filling, sauté tuna and carrots in a pan with melted butter. Add AJI-GINISA® Flavor Seasoning Mix and pepper. Mix well and remove from the pan.
- MIX, SCOOP, & SEAL. In a bowl, combine filling, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Mix well. Scoop 2 Tbsps. tuna filling onto the dough. Fold dough in half. Seal edges using a fork. Brush pies with egg wash before frying.
- DEEP-FRY. In a pan, heat oil. Deep-fry pies for 4-6 minutes or until it turns yellow to light brown. Drain excess oil using a strainer or colander.
- SERVE. Transfer to a plate. Serve while hot.
Use Chunky Tuna for better texture inside the pie pockets. May add Cream or Cheese for a creamier filling.
Good to Know Nutrition Facts
Tuna is rich in Omega-3 which helps lower cholesterol levels. It is rich in potassium that helps lower blood pressure. References: United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) – Food Composition Database, Philippine Food Composition Tables (Phil FCT) and Philippine Food Exchange List (Phil FEL)