Tuna Pie RecipeAJI-GINISA® Flavor Seasoning Mix
- 1 cup (141 grams) All purpose flour
- 1/8 cup (28 grams) Sugar, white
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) Rock salt
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) Butter, cold unsalted
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Oil, palm
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Water
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) Butter, unsalted
- 2 cans (214 grams) Tuna flakes in oil, canned, drained
- 3/4 cup (105 grams) Carrots, minced
- 1 pack (8 grams) AJI-GINISA® Flavor Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) Pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons (34 grams) Mayonnaise
- 1 piece (57 grams) Egg, beaten
- 2 cups (500 ml) Cooking Oil for deep frying
- KNEAD & ROLL. To prepare the dough (crust), combine all purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, and salt in a bowl. Slowly rub in cold butter until it mixed well to other ingredients. Add oil and water. Mix well. Roll dough into thin sheets. Cut 3.5" x 5″ sheets. Set aside.
- SAUTÉ & SEASON. To cook the filling, sauté tuna and carrots in a pan with melted butter. Add AJI-GINISA® Flavor Seasoning Mix and pepper. Mix well and remove from the pan.
- MIX, SCOOP, & SEAL. In a bowl, combine filling, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Mix well. Scoop 2 Tbsps. tuna filling onto the dough. Fold dough in half. Seal edges using a fork. Brush pies with egg wash before frying.
- DEEP-FRY. In a pan, heat oil. Deep-fry pies for 4-6 minutes or until it turns yellow to light brown. Drain excess oil using a strainer or colander.
- SERVE. Transfer to a plate. Serve while hot.
You can chill the dough for at least 20-30 minutes to reduce excess moisture and cool down the fat to help improve the texture of the dough. Use Chunky Tuna for better texture inside the pie pockets. May add Cream or Cheese for a creamier filling.
Cooking Time: 25 minutes Preparation: 15 minutes Servings: 10 Serving size: 1 pc (62.3g) Tuna Pie
Calories per serving (kcal)
Dietary Fiber (g)
Good to Know Nutrition Facts
Tuna is rich in Omega-3 which helps lower cholesterol levels. It is rich in potassium that helps lower blood pressure. References: United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) – Food Composition Database, Philippine Food Composition Tables (Phil FCT) and Philippine Food Exchange List (Phil FEL)