Citrus-Glazed Chicken with VegetablesAJI-NO-MOTO® Umami Seasoning
- 3 cups (400g) Chicken breast fillet, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Soy sauce
- 5 Tbsps. (38g) All-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500ml) Water
- 1 tsp. (3g) Baking powder
- 1/2 cup (70g) Cornstarch
- 2 cups (500g) Cooking oil, for frying
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (50g) Red onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsps. (30g) Garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (40g) Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (100g) Green bell pepper, cubed
- 1/2 cup (100g) Red bell pepper, cubed
- 1/3 cup (70g) Frozen green peas
- 1 cup (150g) Sayote, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) Baguio beans, trimmed
- 1/4 tsp. (1.25g) Salt, coarse
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Sesame oil
- 1 cup (240ml) Sweetened orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. (15g) Sugar, brown
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Vinegar
- 1 pack (11g) AJI-NO-MOTO® Umami Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5g) Salt, coarse
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) Dried chili flakes (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. (15g) Cornstarch + 2 Tbsps. water to make a slurry
- 2 pcs. (200g) Orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 tsps. (10ml) Sesame oil
- 2 Tbsps. (13g) Spring onions, chopped
- MARINATE. In a bowl, combine soy sauce and chicken. Marinate for 1 hour. Set aside.
- COAT. In a separate bowl, combine flour, water, and baking powder. Mix well. Coat chicken pieces in batter mixture then dredge in cornstarch.
- DEEP-FRY. In a pan, heat oil. Deep-fry chicken until golden brown and crispy. Drain excess oil using strainer or collander. Set aside.
- SAUTÉ. o cook the vegetables, heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers, and frozen peas for 20 seconds. Add sayote and cook for 1 minute. Add baguio beans and cook for another minute. Season with salt and add sesame oil. Set aside.
- SIMMER. To make the orange sauce, combine orange juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, AJI-NO-MOTO®, salt, and chili flakes (optional). Mix well then let it simmer in a saucepan. Add the cornstarch slurry and let boil. Add orange segments and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add sesame oil. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE & SERVE. Arrange vegetables on a serving platter. Toss chicken pieces with the sauce, then place on top of the vegetables. Garnish with spring onions.
For this dish, get the most out of the orange by using not just the juice but also the pulp. For an even stronger citrus flavor, grate the zest (the orange part of the peel) and add it to the sauce.
Good to Know Nutrition Facts
Meal Serving Idea: 3/4 cup Citrus-glazed Chicken with Vegetables, 1 cup rice, 1 pc. Sliced banana with 1 Tbsp. toasted oats Enjoy this dish with a cup of rice to get a complete meal of Go, Glow, and Grow foods!