Crispy Honey Sesame Tofu with BokchoySARSAYA® Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 kilo (500g) Tofu, cubes
- 1/2 cup (60g) Cornstarch
- 2 cups (500ml) Cooking oil
- 1 L (1000ml) Water
- 1/2 kilo (500g) Bokchoy, quartered
- 2 tsps. (10ml) Cooking oil
- 3 Tbsps. (30g) Red onion, minced
- 2 Tbsps. (20g) Garlic, minced
- 1 pack (30g) SARSAYA® Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp. (3g) Chili flakes
- 2 Tbsps. (30g) Honey
- 1 tsp. (5g) Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp. (6g) Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5g) Salt, iodized
- 1/8 tsp. (0.3g) Ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Water
- 2 tsps. (10ml) Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. (9g) Sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsps. (10g) Green onions, chopped
- COAT & DEEP-FRY. Coat tofu in cornstarch. In a pan with oil, deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Drain excess oil using strainer. Set aside.
- BLANCH. In a pot of boiling water, add the bok choy then cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Immediately place in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- STIR-FRY & MIX. In a pan, heat oil. Stir-fry onion and garlic until fragrant. In a bowl, combine SARSAYA® Oyster Sauce, chili flakes, honey, vinegar, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix well then add to the pan.
- SIMMER. Simmer sauce until thickened. Add bokchoy and the crispy tofu and sesame oil then cook for another minute.
- SERVE. Transfer to a plate. Garnish with sesame seeds and spring onion (optional). Serve and enjoy.
Coating tofu with cornstarch before frying gives it a crispier texture.
Good to Know Nutrition Facts
Despite being a plant source, tofu contains a decent amount of Protein that helps build muscles, and Calcium for strong bones.