Savory Egg Custard (Chawanmushi)AJI-NO-MOTO® Umami Seasoning
- 5 pcs. (250g) Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) Water
- 2 tsps. (10ml) Fish sauce
- 1/2 pack (5g) AJI-NO-MOTO® Umami Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. (10g) Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. (1.3g) Ginger, grated
- 1/2 Tbsp. (2.5g) Red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Cooking oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. (7.5g) Brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. (7.5ml) Soy sauce
- 1 tsp. (5ml) Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. (10g) Tausi
- 1 Tbsp. (15g) Dried mushrooms, rehydrated, sliced
- 2 Tbsps. (10g) Spring onion, sliced thinly (optional)
- MIX. In a bowl, combine egg and water.
- SEASON. Pour fish sauce and AJI-NO-MOTO®. Mix well and strain to remove the bubbles.
- STEAM. Transfer the egg mixture to a heat-proof serving bowl then place in a steamer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the custard is cooked or has solidified. You can also use individual bowls to steam the egg mixture.
- MIX & COOK. Prepare the toppings by combining garlic, ginger, and red chili flakes in a heat-proof bowl. In a pan, heat cooking oil until piping hot then pour into the dry mixture. Mix well then add brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, tausi, and dried mushrooms.
- SERVE. Slice the custard into cubes then pour the toppings all over the custard. Garnish with spring onions (optional) then serve.
To avoid a bubbly custard, strain the mixture before placing in the mold. Cover the mold with a table napkin while steaming to avoid the water from dripping to the custard.
Good to Know Nutrition Facts
Eggs are a great source of Choline that supports brain development in children.